Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Day 9. H is for Hentzau. RECKLESS: The Petrified Flesh.



H is for Hentzau.

*Deep breath* Okay, I've promised myself that I will be chill about this post....but seriously guys, for the past 5 years, Hentzau has been my 'book boyfriend'. Like he is my legit book husband. So, I'm a little ecstatic that I'm getting to post about him.

Commander Hentzau is a jasper Goyl and the right hand man of the king of the Goyl - Kami'en. Many years (probably more than a decade) before when The Petrified Flesh takes place, he and Kami'en challenged the chiefs and for two years worked to kill them off so Kami'en could become the first king the Goyl had ever had. 

Hentzau is extremely loyal the king because of their long friendship, and is the only one who can be a smartass to the king without losing his life (Hentzau's just a smartass in general...and I love it.) In TPF, he is sent out by the King's fairy lover to find the Jade Goyl (we'll talk about him later) who, until now, has just been a fairytale. Hentzau has been ground for six years and his sight and hearing has dulled to that of a human - if not a little worse. Reading between the lines from all third book, I'm pretty much convinced Hentzau will not get a happy ending. Fortunately for him, he doesn't believe in happy endings. Which is one reason I'm totally in love with his character. He's just the best. 

Allllllso, my loves, I was the first Hentzau fan that Cornelia Funke had ever heard of....and that just makes me the happiest ever. E.V.E.R. As much as I love him in the first book, he has some of the best dialogue in third book. It just reinforced that I picked the right favorite character for me. 


"...he had learned that the world made no sense and there were no happy endings." - Cornelia Funke, Reckless: The Petrified Flesh. Chapter 11. Hentzau.





No comments:

Post a Comment